Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's quite alright with me

You know that movie Paycheck?

Yes you do, it's awesome. (Fuck you, Jeremy.)

Ben "Phantoms" Affleck is a reverse engineer who does his work then gets his mind erased. They know how far back to go because they place a sort of chemical bookmark in his brain. Trapping a moment in time and setting the place he will leave off mentally though a year (or some such) has gone by.

I found my chemical bookmark while looking through an old post. I wrote it about a month into starting my job at 2K. Stumbling onto it by accident, I was shocked at how impactful what I had written would be to me, today. It's as if, unknowingly, I had left myself a message in the past, meant for the me of the future.

Sometimes we forget how we stepped on the path we travel.

Reading the words, it instantly returned me to my mind at the moment I wrote it: What I was feeling... my dreams and my hope for the future. My confidence in my career change and choice.

I've learned a lot since then. I've experienced so much in just over a year. To think of who I was back then, it's like thinking of a different person. I've grown and changed a lot.

And... sometimes you get lost. You lose focus. Your mind clouds and you forget how and why you got to this place.

And sometimes, you just need a reminder. A fresh kick in the tuchus (if you get my meaning here). A moment of self reflection and life-check. Making sure we're doing what we want to do and are working toward the right goals. It's reassuring to look that in the eye and nod with confidence.

It's refreshing and invigorating. Breaths new life into the soul. Makes me rather happy.

It's alright,
It's quite alright with me.

No comments: